Thursday, March 13, 2014

Sarah's Key (Intro)

Sarah's Key - Tatiana de Rosnay


After getting this assignment, I was so excited to finally be able to read the books that I wanted for school. Jenna actually recommended this book to me, and I remember hearing good things and wanting to read it a while ago, though I don't know why I didn't read it then. I have never even heard of this author before, and I'm not familiar with any of her other work (if she even has any, I'm not sure..) but this particular book got so many good reviews, I'm excited to read it.

I think one of the main reasons that this book is so interesting to me is because when someone thinks about the Holocaust, and the persecution against Jewish families in the 1940's, it all comes back to Nazi Germany. However, this book focuses on a certain event which persecuted Jewish peoples in France, and it was carried out by French Police on Nazi orders. Before this book, I had never even heard of the Vel d'Hiv roundup before. There's constantly so many pieces of history that are not well known and I think this book will bring awareness to the events that so little knew about (or if they did know it, choose to ignore it). Hopefully this book will live up to all of the praise it received!

No comments:

Post a Comment