Thursday, April 3, 2014

Paper Towns (Midway)

Paper Towns- John Green

Okay, I am seriously in love with this book. It's exciting, and it has me consistently wanting to read  more. I was a little wary going into it because someone told me that this book was by far "the most boring book of all the books that he's written." Well, if its the most boring book he's ever written, I want to read more of his stuff! I mean I do regardless, but I like the way he writes.

The reader is first introduced to Quentin Jacobsen, a shy boy who spends his time complaining about senior prom or playing Resurrection. Then the reader meets Margo Roth Spiegelman, an adventurous girl with a habit of sneaking out and running away. One night, as Margo needed some revenge on her friends after discovering her boyfriend cheating, she enlists the help of goody two shoes, perfect attendence schoolboy Q to driver her getaway car. The two head out on a task filled night (or should I say morning) and discover the fun times they used to have together. Seriously though, some of the stuff they do for revenge is a mix between terrible and awesome. Putting a fish to rot in someone's car (genius) unless its you car (totally not fun at all). And then Margo owns it, spraying an M on the places where shes made her mark.

There's something about this book, something that I can't pin my finger on, and that's what makes it so interesting to read. Maybe it's the way that John Green writes, the way in which he is so easily able to connect his point to teenagers (which I'm assuming is his target audience from the way he writes..?) 

I really like the whole idea of instead of just a mystery plot that the characters are trying to solve, it is not a plot the reader wants to know about, but more the character that was the underlying factor for the plot. Every move Margo makes impacts the plot, even if the reader doesn't know whats going on with Margo and why she keeps doing what she doing. The element of mystery and suspense works well for John Green's book, because you truly have no idea what might happen next. (Though I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that Quentin is going to end up finding her, bringing her back and taking her to prom. While it's predictable, it is a fiction book, and that's the fairy tale ending to go right along with it.)

But the real question I'm anxious to find out: Where's Margo and why did she leave?

No comments:

Post a Comment